This guide is designed to answer some of the questions you might have on how to find, identify and use Africa related primary sources for assignments. Traditionally primary sources are found in archives, museums, libraries, private collections or reproduced in print or microform. Access to tangible primary sources from Africa is limited and with logistical challenges since these are normally located in far off places. However, digital primary sources related to Africa have proliferated online due to digitization. This guide will help you find digital primary sources in electronic databases and websites.
The guide provides answers to questions such as:
- What is a primary source?
- What is the difference between a primary source and a secondary source?
- How can I tell if something is a primary source or not?
- Which databases contains primary source materials?
- Where will I find digital primary sources online?
- How do I search for online primary sources?